Feeding Laramie Valley
Shares Farm Production Team
15 week, Seasonal Full-Time
2024 Feeding Laramie Valley Farm Production Team
15 weeks, Seasonal full-time
Position: 2024 Shares Farm Production Team Member, 15 weeks
Reports to: Director of Shares Production and Distribution, Sarah Gray.
Start and End Dates: This is a 15-week seasonal position that runs May 12, 2024- August 29, 2024. This position is full-time, temporary. The start date and end date and number of weeks are flexible for the right person. If you have questions or concerns about the start or end date please let us know!
Feeding Laramie Valley (FLV) Description: Since our founding in 2009 we have worked to fulfill our mission through increased food production, access, distribution, and educational efforts that encourage community-led food sovereignty. Feeding Laramie Valley grows our own fruits and vegetables, mentors and supports backyard gardeners, develops and helps manage community gardens, and is deeply committed to partnerships with independent farmers and producers in the Rocky Mountain Region and beyond. We share high-quality produce with individuals and families who need it at no charge focusing on elders, children, and people living with disabilities and chronic illnesses.
Position Overview: We are adding 4 of these positions to our team this Summer. Once these spots are full the position will be closed until the 2025 season. The Feeding Laramie Valley Shares Production Team Member is a core member of our intensive production season. Staff as a whole serve as community-based activists and advocate for group and individual effort. The production team member is involved in all aspects of vegetable production across our 4 production plots including hoop house management, planting, cultivation, pest management, watering, harvesting, washing and packing for distribution, monthly operation of our FLV farmers market booth, and assisting with community events throughout the summer. This physically demanding job requires lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling, etc., and doing so in all weather conditions.
Position Overview: We are adding 4 of these positions to our team this Summer, once these spots are full, the positions will be closed until the 2025 season. The Feeding Laramie Valley Shares Production Team Member is a core member of our intensive production season. Staff, as a whole, serve as community-based activists and advocate for group and individual efforts to promote local food security and equity in Albany County, Wyoming. The production team member is involved in all aspects of vegetable production across our 4 production plots, including hoop house management, planting, cultivation, pest management, watering, harvesting, wash and packing for distribution, monthly operation of our FLV farmers market booth, and assisting with community events throughout the summer. This physically demanding job requires lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling, etc., and doing so in all weather conditions.
The Shares Production Team members will work closely with the Shares Production and Distribution Director, The Shares Assistant Production Manager and The Feeding Laramie Valley staff in each responsibility area and will also be expected to work independently at times and in a team setting with the FLV staff, volunteers and community members. Additional responsibilities, such as small project management, will be delegated depending on need and abilities.
We are a small crew that works fast and accomplishes a lot throughout our short growing season! The ideal candidate is interested in developing their farming and leadership skills, comfortable with the unknown and adaptability involved with farming and is committed to and understanding of FLV's mission and purpose.
Scheduling: May 13- May 3: Monday- Friday, 8:30 AM -4:30 PM, 40 hours a week with a 1-hour lunch every day (Occasional weekend morning for watering, compensation time will be given during the week for this). The first week will include an all-staff onsite training.
June 3- August 29: 4-day work week, 9 hours includes a 1-hour lunch break every day. Work week daily schedule varies. This will include weekend watering; comp time will be provided for any hours over 40.
• Assist in the everyday completion of fieldwork seeding, transplanting, preparing beds, weed management, trellising, pruning, hoop house management, watering, planting, harvesting, washing produce, and maintaining facilities and tools as well as additional tasks that may come up.
• Perform walk throughs as a team to scout for pests/problems, and plan for upcoming production tasks of the week.
• Giving or assisting in educational tours and demonstrations showcasing our agricultural work, the FLV Shares program, and gardens to visiting groups and the general public.
• Assist in planting, maintenance, cleaning, and harvesting produce from our hydroponics system.
• Recording accurate production yields and compost collection data. Assist in the planning and execution of The Higher Ground Fair and Food, Fun in the Park and other events throughout the season.
• Rotating responsibility of weekend watering throughout the season.
• Occasionally assisting in the distribution of FLV Shares produce to the community through FLV Shares pickup days and FLV Shares delivery days.
• Assist in setting up and staffing the FLV Farmers Markets occasional Fridays mid-July through September.
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds, bend, and kneel.
• All FLV staff, interns, and volunteers are subject to background checks. In addition, a copy of a current driver's license record is required to drive on behalf of FLV.
Must be comfortable working with and taking lead from a diverse group of people.
• Self-motivated and detail-oriented.
• A deep interest in food justice and local food systems work.
• Enthusiastic about the mission of the FLV Shares Program and Feeding Laramie Valley.
• Interpersonal and motivational skills and the willingness to work with a diverse group of people.
Qualities We Consider When Selecting a Candidate:
• Farming, vegetable production, or experience/knowledge of horticultural practices. This is not necessary, we are looking for someone eager to learn, passionate and who can bring their own personality and perspective to the team!
• Willingness to work in a variety of weather conditions.
• We highly value candidates who embrace and contribute to the rich tapestry of our community as we work towards our collective vision of a sustainable, diverse and equitable food systems.
Compensation and Benefits: This position pays $15 an hour, includes 5 days paid time off, a free raised bed for the 2024 growing season, a weekly FLV Shares produce bag, and access to our tools, seeds, and compost!
Learning Objectives for Feeding Laramie Valley to Provide: This position will offer hands on and open learning opportunities for high altitude (7200 feet) market sized diversified vegetable production, season extension including hoop houses and hydroponics, community composting systems and compost maintenance, seed starting, field production skills, and community food sovereignty through community raised beds and gardening education. We are also learning as we go, we encourage the opportunity to learn in a welcoming environment and support curiosity and questions around these topics!
You will also have access to any of FLV’s resources and materials, a diversified vegetable production guide, and community connections working towards food justice in and beyond Albany County.
Application and How to Apply:
Essay and interview required; resumes are optional. If selected for an interview, two references are required.
Applicants are asked to write an essay of interest in the position. In the essay, please describe why this position interests you, what relevant experience you may have, and/or why you would be a good fit for FLV. If you have any concerns or questions about the essay, please contact us!
Email your application materials to Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2024 Shares Farm Production Team (15 or 21 weeks) and your complete contact information.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed, and interviews and job offers will be made on a rolling basis. Applications must be received by Friday, March 4, 2024, for consideration.
information or drop it off to 968 N 9th Street, Laramie WY 82070 Monday-Friday 9:00 AM- 4:00 PM.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed; interviews and hiring will be made on a rolling basis. Applications must be received by Friday, March 4, 2024, for consideration.